Zolpidem- Sleep problems come to end
Zolpidem is a nonbenzodiazepine medicine, often sold under the brand name Ambien. It is commonly used for people suffering from short-term sleeping problems. It helps to decrease the time of falling asleep by about 15 minutes and maintains a deep sleep. Zolpidem is available in the market in the form of oral tablets and even oral sprays.
Working of Zolpidem
It simply works on the receptors present inside the Central Nervous System and stimulates them to produce neurotransmitters, which are known as GABA neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters are responsible for making you feel relaxed and help to ease feelings like nausea, anxiety, or panic. They also help you to sleep peacefully. Zolpidem stimulates the receptors to produce more GABA neurotransmitters.
In 1992, Zolpidem was approved in the U.S. for medical use. But its generic form made its appearance a long time after its medicinal use. In 2007 Zolpidem started being available as a generic medicine.
According to the Controlled Substances Act, Zolpidem is placed in the category of schedule IV medicines. It is the most common drug used for the treatment of short-term sleep. This is supported by the fact that more than 10 million prescriptions are made every year in the U.S. for this medication.
The monthly expenses of Zolpidem variates from $6 to $66 in the United States. The cost depends on whether the medication is immediate release or controlled release.
Some common after-effects
- This medication contains sedation in it and therefore slows down the working of the brain, so it is possible to feel sleepy even during the daytime by the intake of this medicine. Headaches may also occur regularly.
- With the onset of taking Zolpidem, some consumers have experienced sleepwalking and also sleeping while driving. Activities like eating during the night while still in sleep and doing routine work while sleeping has also been reported. These effects have occurred only at the beginning of the drug course.
- Lightheadedness and dizziness may occur, sometimes leading to a feeling of nausea.
- It is possible to experience back pain with the consumption of this medicine.
If taken for more than the prescribed time, Ativan may show some negative effects. Let’s see what possible side-effects may occur:
- Ambien can cause depression if used for a longer period and may cause hallucinations or memory loss.
- It causes severe effects on the respiratory system if not used according to the prescribed juncture, and may even cause death.
- You may even feel sudden pains in the chest on the consumption of this medication.
You shall not use this medicine if you have any issues with alcohol consumption or substance use disorder.
- Older adults should be extra careful about this medication as they are sensitive to such hypnotic drugs.
- It is essential to discuss your medical history with your physician. You shall discuss any diseases that you suffered or maybe enduring at the moment. This medication is not to be taken by people suffering from sleep apnea, respiratory depression, diseases related to liver, kidney, lungs, etc.
- It has been seen in animal studies that if Zolpidem is consumed for a longer period, it leads to fetal loss in expected mother. The study has no data on human pregnancy, but it is assumed to be highly dangerous for pregnant women. So you shall prevent this medication during pregnancy.
- Whatever you eat, it goes to your baby through breast milk if your baby is on breastfeed. Ambien may mix with your breast milk and may get transferred to your baby. So you shall avoid taking Ambien if you breastfeed your child.
Certainly, there are things that you should keep in mind before taking this medicine. Remember to read and follow all the points before the intake of this medicine.
- It is essential to buy the medicine with the help of a prescription, and only then shall it be consumed.
- It is not very difficult to buy Zolpidem online, but you shall not buy medicines online as it may not be of original quality.
- You shall buy Zolpidem from a conventional drug store, and the use of a prescription is a must.
- You shall talk about your medical history with your physician. You shall also tell if you had substance use disorder. Talking about your medical history will help your physician to fix the dose you require.
Quick go-through of Zolpidem
Zolpidem may look safe to be consumed for sleep problems, but the aftermaths work alongside with every medication. It is important to carefully examine any medication that you take, and follow the instructions of your physician is foremost.